Most people go to Google when they are ready to buy a product. And if your products does not appear on Google, it will be invisible to your ideal customer.
There is a joke in the SEO world..
This is because ranking on the first page of Google gets the most clicks. No one really goes to the second page, third page or the fourth page.
Getting on the first page of Google can get you 30% more traffic. No matter what you are selling, it is possible to get to the first page - but it takes time and persistance.
SEO can be divided into three parts:
- Technical SEO: This includes things related to internal links, website structure, navigation, loading your store really fast etc. The good news is that as long as you are using a good and tested Shopify theme, Shopify will take care of this for you.
- Off-page SEO: This involves getting other website and blogs in your industry to link to your Shopify store. Adding more backlinks will improve your website authority, and is something that should be done continuously.
- On-page SEO: This is about creating content for your product and collection pages, and optimzing it with the right keywords, which increase your relevance and thus improve rankings.
If you get your On-page SEO wrong, no matter how many backlinks you build, you will not attract the right customers.
On-page SEO is about telling Google what your store is about. The best way to do this is to make sure that the keywords are placed properly in the meta tags, and by optimzing the following for product and collection pages:
- Meta title
- Meta description
- H1 tag (title)
- Product image alt-text
- Product and collection page content
I will help you optimize your on-page SEO, so that once your on-page SEO is optimized the right way, it will improve your SEO.
It definitely takes a little bit of time and effort from you, but on-page SEO is one-time activity. Once this is completed, you can focus on building backlinks to your store, which will keep improving your rankings.
Most SEO audits only focus on product pages, but we have also prioritised collection pages. Products could get discontinued, or sometimes go out of stock. Sometimes you may launch better versions of your products, making the old pages redundant. But collection pages are ever-green. As they display a group or collection of products, they never go out of stock, and is always relevant.
One the next page, you will see two audits
- SEO Audit for product pages
- SEO Audit for collection pages
Go over the SEO issues detected in these SEO audits and start by fixing each of them.
This is a really important step, and only needs to be done once for each page.
To help with this, we have also include a product page and collection page editor. The editor will give you live SEO recommendations, suggestions on what to do next.
We have also added a few bulk optimising tools to speed up the process, but I highly recommend that you spend time doing this manually - i.e. making sure that the product and collection pages are optimized the right way and includes the keywords in the titles, descriptions and meta tags.
We are excited to help you fix your on-page SEO issues. SEO is a marketing channel that can product the highest traffic and revenue for your business.
Get started with SEO Optimizer for Product Pages.